As a school, it was identified that we need to continue to raise attainment and progress in Reading. This is particualrly for Pupil Premium Pupils across the school.
This year therefore, Reading is one of the key issues on our School Development Plan with Mrs Ball the assigned senior leader to this issue. Below is a copy of the action plan produced by the Early Years Team during the INSET.
1) Identify barriers to attainment for pupil premium pupils in Reading i.e. What aspect of reading are the children finding most difficult?
2) Raise the profile of reading at home by holding parent workshops, sending reading letterbox parcels home for pupil premium children and book fairs.
3) Develop a consistent approach to teaching reading across the school, with a particular focus on the methodology used during Big Read & Guided Read.
4) Introduce reading age tests so that this can be tracked and monitored throughout the year.
5) Carry our research into accelerated reader to see if this would benefit pupils at Hindsford.
1) Change RWI to four days so that a comprehension lesson can take place once a week.
2) Implement a reading buddy scheme across the school.
3) Integrate guided reading into the Early Years timetable.
4) Access training and prepare resources for accelerated reading (if applicable).
1) Trail accelerated reading (if applicable).
2) introduce comprehension questioning for reading buddies.
- In September, the Book Bus was invited toschool which was a great way to raise the profile of reading. Every pupil to choose a book which the school donated to the school library. This was to ensure that we have the correct type of books to engage pupils when reading for pleasure.
- The Letter Box Resources had some really fun and enjoyable texts for the pupils to read.
- Research carried out on the accelerated reading programme, although a different approach to reading was deemed more suited for the pupils of Hindsford – Power of Reading to be trailed in Spring 2018.