Wigan Council – Metrofresh – Catering
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Some of our menu items may contain nuts, seeds and other allergens.
We understand the dangers to those with severe allergies or food intolerances.
If this applies to you, please speak to someone in school who may be able to help you make an alternative choice.
Guidance Notes for Allergies and Food Intolerances
- inform your manager if you have been asked to provide a meal for a customer who has an allergy or food intolerance
- if you are required to provide meals to customers who have an allergy or food intolerance then please refer to the section on allergies in the food safety manual (this can be found in the school kitchen)
- treat food allergies and food intolerances similar – avoid cross contamination – hands, cutlery, work surfaces, storage of brought in items, cooking utensils, serving utensils, the food itself, etc
- inform staff of food prepared for any special diets, including new staff
- make sure all staff, including new staff are aware of serious allergies and food intolerances
- place the information of any new customer with food allergy of food intolerance in a prominent position in case of staff absences, mobile staff and temporary cooks
- keep to the ingredients of the recipe, tell the customer exactly what is in the food
- liaise with the school and display the procedure should someone fall ill who has a food allergy or food intolerance